maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Multiple JDKs
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 20:16:44 GMT
On 09/12/2010 1:57 PM, Asmann, Roland wrote:
> I don't like it. 2 Projects means that we have to share code somehow...
> Besides, if it was just a simple JAR-file, it would be OK. We have about
> 7 modules, and I don't really feel like duplicating all of them.

You must have heard of libraries?  Java runs on libraries
You put your code into projects that make JDK independent libraries.
Do not even think about duplicating source code. Very bad idea.

Your JDK dependent projects will very likely have no code at all and
only a few dependencies on your libraries, unless you have JDK dependent
modules for special test cases.

> Besides, the only difference we really have is that we trigger Maven
> with a different JDK, so we wouldn't even need profiles! I just don't
> want to have 2 different versions for the project.
>
> I think I'll try something with the invoker-plugin, that would at least
> work for normal builds... Need to check it it would work on releases as
> well...

If you like complexity, go ahead.

There is no need to make such a complex system.
Get it working with a simple structure and then after 6 months of
working your way around Maven with the simple set up then tackle some
optimization projects.
At least you will get your project working with Maven and start
optimizing with a working build that does what you want even if it is
not "optimal" (in your eyes at least).

Ron