maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: maven-resources-plugin & file-encoding
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 21:38:32 GMT
Hi Roland,

Asmann, Roland wrote:

> Hi Jörg,
>
> That plugin is tuned for single files, right? That would mean I'd have
> to have all developers include the plugin with its configuration in
> their POMs... I'd rather have a solution in a parent-POM (we use a
> company-wide master)...
>
> Also, if there is at least one correct Umlaut in there, it will probably
> say the file is correct as well, right?
>
> So, in all, it's a nice workaround, but still not an actual solution...
> :-(

yes, that would have been a single file solution only. However, the real
problem is, that some people commit files with wrong encoding. If you tell
Maven that the file *is* UTF-8, then you have to ensure, that only files in
this encoding can be committed at all e.g. in Subversion using a commit
hook.

The problem is the *detection*. We normally force ASCII. This is fine for
all kind of source code and easy to detect. If some non-ASCII character has
to be in the code, you can always encode it with a Unicode notation (e.g.
\uXXXX). This is true for Java, property files, JavaScript, XML, HTML, ...

- Jörg