maven-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: maven-resources-plugin & file-encoding
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:22:46 GMT
Jörg Hohwiller wrote:

> Hi Roland,
>
> sorry. My mail client was out of sync. When I wrote the mail, no response
> to your post was visible to me.
>
> In this case it sounds like something very special.
> You can check...
>
> ... if you have any specific profiles in your POM that are OS dependent
> but I doubt that it is related
>
> ... if you have the exact same JVM version on both systems (maybe on linux
> you even have a different JVM implementation underhood, depending on your
> distro)
>
> ... if there is some effect by the VCS client that you use to checkout the
> sources on linux or windows. You can probably check with a hex-editor or
> get both versions on an usb-stick and diff them.

This would have been my guess also. If you process a Cp1252 encoded file on
Windows as UTF-8, this might simply lead to an garbled character. On Linux
you have nowaday normally UTF-8 as system encoding and Cp1252 decoded as
UTF-8 might result in an invalid UTF-8 character if processed as UTF-8
again.

- Jörg