maven-users mailing list archives

From <ilya.may...@ubs.com>
Subject RE: Multiple packages with different configuration files
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2010 23:19:05 GMT
Eric,

Let me elaborate on the issue. I cannot use profiles as it will create
only one distribution for me. I need to have the same compiled cod
bundled with different config files for DEV/QA/PROD. Is there are any
easy way to create 3 TAR files from one jar or war and include different
sets of config files within each of them? How can I implement it with
Assembly mojo?

Thanks

Ilya Mayzel
Distributed Change Management
UBS Financial Services Inc.
1000 Harbor Boulevard, 4th Floor
Weehawken, NJ-07086
Phone: 201-352-7976
Email : ilya.mayzel@ubs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Haszlakiewicz, Eric [mailto:EHASZLA@transunion.com]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 3:38 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: RE: Multiple packages with different configuration files

Well those are some rather useless answers.
JNDI will only "do the job" if you configure it that way.  You need to
get that configuration *into* tomcat somehow in the first place,
regardless of whether you use JNDI or a properties file.

To suggest some options for the original poster:
  There are several different options to choose which configuration gets
used or included in a application package.  One way, which I have used a
fair amount, is to include all configurations, and have an environment
variable that you set when you run that app that causes it to choose the
right file.  The exact method of doing this depends on exactly how your
configuration is stored, but it might consist of things like having
property references in spring config files, tomcat setenv.sh scripts
that pass appropriate java options, or custom java code within your app
that looks for the variable settings.

On the other hand, if you want actual, separate application packages,
each that only contains a single set of configuration options, well then
you're back in the realm of how to get maven to do that for you.  What
I've done for this is use profiles with embedded ant tasks that copy the
appropriate files into place.  Then to build a dev environment you might
do something like "mvn -P dev package".  Of course, you can use any
other plugin config within a profile other than the ant plugin, such as
having separate assembler plugin configs and include different
configuration files that way.
There's lots of way to do it; I'm not sure what the best one is.

eric

Please visit our website at
http://financialservicesinc.ubs.com/wealth/E-maildisclaimer.html
for important disclosures and information about our e-mail
policies. For your protection, please do not transmit orders
or instructions by e-mail or include account numbers, Social
Security numbers, credit card numbers, passwords, or other
personal information.