maven-users mailing list archives

From jhumble <...@jezhumble.net>
Subject Re: Continuous Delivery and Maven
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 17:03:29 GMT

>  You may use any number of commits to complete a particular user story.

But you can still keep your software releasable by implementing features in
an incremental way, as described here:
http://martinfowler.com/bliki/FeatureToggle.html

I don't see how delivering an in progress story has any value.

Two reasons: one, the faster you get feedback on the part of the story you
have done so far, the faster you know if any further work is going to be
valuable, and what in fact the next most valuable thing to deliver is.

Second, most of the pain of the software delivery process comes *after* the
software is dev-complete, during testing and deployment (often called the
"last mile"). One of the important points of cd is that by creating
deployable software with every commit, you avoid the pain at the end of the
delivery process.

Jez.

On 8 November 2010 08:52, Thiessen, Todd (Todd) [via Maven] <
ml-node+3255344-939946112-143561@n5.nabble.com<ml-node%2B3255344-939946112-143561@n5.nabble.com>
> wrote:

> > In my view of CD, you wouldn't come back, ever. You'd just commit code
> > that triggers a build and if it passes each and every quality gate along
> > the way it would get deployed.
>
> I am even struggling with that. A commit of some code, does not imply a
> deliverable feature.  You may use any number of commits to complete a
> particular user story. I don't see how delivering an in progress story has
> any value.

>  View message @
> http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Continuous-Delivery-and-Maven-tp3245370p3255344.html

Jez Humble