maven-users mailing list archives

From jhumble <...@jezhumble.net>
Subject Re: Continuous Delivery and Maven
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 05:05:15 GMT

Hi Brian

It just seems like the rev ID is really useful here for identifying
> reproducible builds without creating releases every time, does it fit with
> your ideas?  If so, a hypothetical repository manager plugin could be
> maintaining information about snapshot dependencies based on SCM rev ID,
> thus allowing for reproducibility without modifying Maven or existing
> snapshot mechanics.  Such a plugin might be able to generate a POM that has
> the extra rev ID metadata that the repo manager would recognize, allowing
> for existing SNAPSHOT-style identifiers to keep working for developer
> desktops (avoiding SCM thrash), but also providing reproducibility through
> synthetic POMs.

I think this is a great idea. If the pom for each snapshot contains enough
metadata about each of its upstream snapshots to be able to reproduce an
identical binary, we're good. Since I believe Maven already stores the md5
for each snapshot, this is verifiable.

Perhaps including in the POM for a snapshot the SCM URIs that were used to
create it and the version id (for SCMs that support atomic commits - I can't
see a happy way to do this for CVS, for example, without using tags) and the
same information nested for any of their upstream snapshots?

And then for extra points a command that could look at this pom, regenerate
the whole thing from scratch, and verify it against the md5 for the original
binary.

Jez.

--
Jez Humble