maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu>
Subject Re: FYI Repo "hacked"?
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 14:52:06 GMT
Lets look at this closely:

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Jon Strayer <jon@strayer.org> wrote:
> On the 24th of November my reports build failed.  The failure message is:
> Unable to read local copy of metadata: Cannot read metadata from
> 'e:\repo\org\apache\maven\skins\maven-default-skin\maven-metadata-java.net.xml':

The name of this file tells me that Maven thinks it got this metadata
from a repo with id "java.net". Double checking Central, we can see
that this file is normal:
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/skins/maven-default-skin/maven-metadata.xml

Checking the standard java.net repo, we can see that org/apache/maven
doesn't even exist:
http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/apache/

So far this doesn't appear to be a repo hack but more likely something
local or to a local server you use.

> end tag name </head> must be the same as start tag <meta> from line 7
> (position: TEXT seen ... hack msn hack www.44imha.in
> www.islamihacker.org</title>\r\n</head>...
> @9:8)
>  org.apache.maven.skins:maven-default-skin:jar:RELEASE
>
> And sure enough when I look at the maven-metadata-java.net.xml It is a web
> page.  The page references islamihacker.org so it looks like some putz
> thought "hacking" a public repository was some kind of challenge.

In your builds, what url does java.net point at? You can check the
entire transitive tree with the snapshot of the dependency plugin:
mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:2.2-SNAPSHOT:list-repositories

It's possible that somehow your machine was redirected at a website
that had this page and Maven picked it up.