maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Topping <topp...@codehaus.org>
Subject Re: Figuring out the proper Maven dependency setting
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:48:34 GMT

On Nov 10, 2010, at 3:40 PM, marshall wrote:

> Hi;
>  This is probably a beginner question, but I thought it was worth posing because it is
frequently very frustrating when working with Maven.
>  Is there a clear way to know which particular dependencies Maven requires, when working
with a set of jars/libraries?

This isn't as much a Maven question as it is a question on the organizations that package
the dependencies, but here's some info.  Dependencies typically depend on other dependencies,
and one eventually gets a transitive closure of dependencies.  You can see this in your build
by running 'mvn dependency:tree'. This will show you a tree of who is pulling in what, and
help make decisions on what to pull in at the top level and what you can ignore.

For instance, if you used to pull in asm for use with Hibernate, you can stop doing that,
because the Hibernate dependency you choose will know better what exact version it was compiled
at.  If you need a specific version of asm for your own needs, this is where things get more
complicated.

These problems existed before Maven though.  Maven just gives you a bigger, more efficient
gun to shoot yourself in the foot with.

Hope that helps...