maven-users mailing list archives

From "Asmann, Roland" <Roland.Asm...@adesso.at>
Subject Re: maven-resources-plugin & file-encoding
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:37:14 GMT
Ha! Indeed, the output file on Windows contains garbled characters!

Great, so I know that the output is sh*t, but how to let Maven cry out
so those darn stubborn developers finally get the point?

Roland

On 02-11-10 19:22, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Jörg Hohwiller wrote:
>
>  > Hi Roland,
>  >
>  > sorry. My mail client was out of sync. When I wrote the mail, no response
>  > to your post was visible to me.
>  >
>  > In this case it sounds like something very special.
>  > You can check...
>  >
>  > ... if you have any specific profiles in your POM that are OS dependent
>  > but I doubt that it is related
>  >
>  > ... if you have the exact same JVM version on both systems (maybe on
> linux
>  > you even have a different JVM implementation underhood, depending on your
>  > distro)
>  >
>  > ... if there is some effect by the VCS client that you use to
> checkout the
>  > sources on linux or windows. You can probably check with a hex-editor or
>  > get both versions on an usb-stick and diff them.
>
> This would have been my guess also. If you process a Cp1252 encoded file on
> Windows as UTF-8, this might simply lead to an garbled character. On Linux
> you have nowaday normally UTF-8 as system encoding and Cp1252 decoded as
> UTF-8 might result in an invalid UTF-8 character if processed as UTF-8
> again.
>
> - Jörg

Roland Asmann
Senior Software Engineer

adesso Austria GmbH
Floridotower 26. Stock              T +43 1 2198790-27
Floridsdorfer Hauptstr. 1           F +43 1 2198790-927
A-1210 Wien                         M +43 664 88657566
                                    E roland.asmann@adesso.at
                                    W www.adesso.at

             >>> business. people. technology. <<<