maven-users mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject maybe bug in release plugin for computing next dev release?
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2010 16:26:27 GMT
I have a pom which has a property which has as a value "2.3.1-SNAPSHOT".

The property is used to factor into one spot the version level for dependencies,
where the dependencies are for other modules in a multi-module build (most of
which have the same
version level).

When I do mvn release:prepare -DdryRun on a POM which includes this as a module,
the release:prepare successfully updates the property, first, to "2.3.1" for the
"tag", and then, for the next development version, to "2.3.2-SNAPSHOT".  I think
it figures out that this property is being used as a dependency version value,
and matches it to version levels of things in the "Reactor", to figure out it
needs updating.

So far everything seems to be correct.

But, if I do exactly the same thing, but leave off the "-DdryRun", it updates
the property, first (as before), to "2.3.1" for the tag, but then does *not*
update it for the next development version.

Any idea why?  Is this a (known) bug?  I can, of course, work around this by
manually updating this property to the right level and committing that change to
the trunk.

-Marshall Schor