maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Topping <topp...@codehaus.org>
Subject Re: Problem while deploying snapshot to repository
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:59:07 GMT

On Nov 4, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:

> On 04/11/2010 2:36 PM, Brian Topping wrote:
>> On Nov 4, 2010, at 1:59 PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
>>
>>> Putting repository information in a Parent POM keeps your project POMs small
and uncluttered.
>> I often make an exception to this very good advice:  If I am working with snapshot
versions from a remote repository, I'll temporarily put that repository declaration in the
POM for the project with the dependency, not at the top level.   This speeds up builds because
every defined repository with snapshots enabled are consecutively searched until the latest
version of any snapshot can be confirmed.  Reduce the number of repositories to search, speed
up the build!
> You are clearly a user that is comfortable with Maven and can deal with a significant
amount of complexity so I will gladly accept your exception.
> You are also braver than I am (or stuck with third party developers who hate to actually
say that they have finished something), so you need to experiment with remote Snapshots. So
far, I have been lucky in this regard.

FWIW, the first "discovery" I made on this route was adding these two lines to every repository:

Then do a build and turn on snapshots for the repositories you need them on.  The ones that
you turn them on with, these are candidates for moving to a sub-build.  But even without moving
them, disabling snapshots on repositories that don't have any snapshots will speed up your
build as well.