maven-users mailing list archives

From Dirk Reske <d...@studiorga.de>
Subject module versioning best practice
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:31:47 GMT
Hello,

I have question about best practices for the versioning of my modules.
Simple example:

I have my "main" project: MainProject (just a simple webapp)
and a bunch of separate maintained modules, e.g.

external.api
|--messaging.api
|--sms.impl
|--email.impl

The messaging api contains a set of interfaces for external messaging
services and the sms.impl and email.impl contains concrete
implementations therefore.
How should I set the version number of these sub modules? Should each
has its own or should they derive from the external.api super-pom?
My main project has all three as depedency.
I think I can get version conflicts with both methods. If I change the
messaging api, and increment the versions of all modules, but only
change the version of the messaging.api dependency in the main project,
I have a current messaging.api but older sms.impl that does not use the
current interfaces.

Thanks
Dirk