maven-users mailing list archives

From Nicola Musatti <Nicola.Musa...@ObjectWay.it>
Subject Re: Practical to have "optional" submodules, getting their artifacts from intranet repo if absent?
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:29:05 GMT
We handle this very problem by having different aggregating projects for
different purposes: one is, as you say, a global project that contains
all the modules that make up our application, which we use for full
builds and other, smaller aggregator projects that only contain the
minimal set of necessary for specific development tasks.

I find it convenient to keep a direct correspondence between aggregating
projects and Eclipse workspaces and although we're not doing it at the
moment I would see no inconvenience in letting developers create their
own private aggregators.

This can be achived by keeping dependency information outside the
aggregating projects, either in a separate parent POM or, as Ron Wheeler
often suggests, in a separate module that only contains dependency
information.

Cheers,
Nicola

KARR, DAVID (ATTSI) wrote:
>   I currently work on a large enterprise app built with Ant.  The app is
> divided into several projects divided into functional areas.  In order
> to build the entire EAR, all of the projects have to be built, even if
> you're only working on a single one of those projects.
>
> I'm examining how we could make this work better if we were using Maven.
>
> I guess a straightforward implementation of this would have a main
> project POM that specifies all the subprojects as submodules, and also
> their artifacts as dependencies.
>
> It almost seems to me that what I need is the ability to have the main
> POM be somewhat "dynamic", such that if I'm only working on a single one
> of those subprojects, but I need to assemble the EAR containing all of
> the artifacts, then the projects that I don't have checked out would get
> their submodule entry temporarily deleted, and I would get their
> artifacts from the intranet repo.
>
> I would be using m2eclipse.
>
> Does any of this make sense?

Chi riceve il presente messaggio e' tenuto a verificare se lo stesso non gli
sia pervenuto per errore. In tal caso e' pregato di avvisare immediatamente
il mittente e, tenuto conto delle responsabilita' connesse all'indebito
utilizzo e/o divulgazione del messaggio e/o delle informazioni in esso
contenute, voglia cancellare l'originale e distruggere le varie copie o
stampe.

The receiver of this message is required to check if he/she has received it
erroneously. If so, the receiver is requested to immediately inform the
sender and - in consideration of the responsibilities arising from undue use
and/or disclosure of the message and/or the information contained therein -
destroy the original message and any copy or printout thereof.