maven-users mailing list archives

From "Yanko, Curtis" <curt_ya...@uhc.com>
Subject RE: Continuous Delivery and Maven
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 04:10:04 GMT
Very interesting discussion. With all due respect to Mr. Humble, and I
am a big fan of CD, I am going to venture to say that you don't
understand Maven very well. As a thought experiment, you are correct in
saying that a build based on snapshots is not reproducible. As a more
practical matter however, I feel it is.

Dependencies come in two flavors, our and theirs (internal and 3rd
party). If, all of *our* dependencies are SNAPSHOT (we're doing the
developing) and all of *theirs* are 'versioned' then the build is in
fact reproducible assuming you build everything from a particular repo
version even with the default auto-update setting (in fact, it's
required).
________________________________

Curt Yanko | Continuous Integration Services | UnitedHealth Group IT
Making IT Happen, one build at a time, 600 times a day

-----Original Message-----
From: jhumble [mailto:jez@jezhumble.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 11:15 AM
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: RE: Continuous Delivery and Maven

Hey Todd

The whole point of continuous delivery is that every check-in creates a
potential release candidate.

When you're doing continuous deployment, you could be releasing multiple
times a day, so you don't bother cutting branches or tagging or any of
that stuff because of the overhead. I'd rather not get into the
justification for this process on this thread - but I wrote a book on it
if you're interested:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321601912 and many other people have
blogged about it.

You're right that creating a concrete release for each commit could
potentially use up a lot of space - but that's fine, you can just delete
the older ones. What this *does* mean in turn though is that it is
essential to be able to recreate any given build given the version in
source control it came from, and this is where Maven falls down.
Snapshots just aren't suitable because they aren't reproducible: what
the snapshot looks like depends not only on what versions of the
dependencies are available at the time the snapshot is created, but also
what Maven's configuration and plug-ins happen to be at the time you run
it (assuming Maven is configured to auto-update - the default). I can't
revert back to a particular revision in version control, run maven, and
be sure that the artifact it generates is identical to the one it
created when the commit was initially triggered.

Ideally what I'd like is for Maven to explicitly support the continuous
delivery model and provide snapshots that are reproducible. Failing
that, a guide to configuring Maven so that its binaries are reproducible
(for example by switching off auto-update, and having sufficient
metadata stored in pom files and Maven's artifacts repository to know
what the state of each of the dependencies was at any given time.