maven-users mailing list archives

From stug23 <pat.poden...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continuous Delivery and Maven
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 19:20:30 GMT

We need to figure out how to best leverage Maven (keeping in mind its process
and practices) in a Continuous Delivery solution. I like the conversation
around this topic and also see that there is this other discussion about the
meaning of CD versus CI.

>From the comments so far, there has been a fair amount of discussion about
how to use SNAPSHOTs as if they were something that they aren't. Namely
retaining SNAPSHOTs all the way through release, possibly mutating the
metadata to make the builds products look like released artifacts instead of
SNAPSHOTs without having to rebuild the binaries. Since a SNAPSHOT works
well for a "work in progress" and not for a "thing I want to keep", maybe a
different approach would work better.

Maybe it would make more sense to just burn lots of version numbers (e.g,
3.5.1099) and always release with a new yet-to-be-defined Maven release
plugin that reflects the processes involved with CD. If the concern is disk
usage or inefficiency, perhaps some automation can make this more
manageable?

I would be interested in inputs on this topic from the Maven founders if
they are following this thread.