maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Topping <topp...@codehaus.org>
Subject Re: Figuring out the proper Maven dependency setting
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:37:25 GMT

On Nov 10, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:

> It is mostly exclusions to stop old versions of libraries from being dragged in by mistake.
> It took a bit of doing to get these the first time but it is nice now that we do not
have a screen full of conflicting version notes.

So I guess you are then having to manually import the dependencies that you are excluding?
 That is seriously painful.

It seems to follow that you would also want to set exclusions on all the excluded dependencies
that you manually import, right?  I mean, there's no telling that you might get a version
of a transitive dependency somewhere that has two versions!  :-)

At that point, I don't know why you would bother with Maven at all.  The effort required to
disable all the dependency functionality (one dependency at a time) is so much more painful
than using it well.

I'm not trying to be mean here, just trying to illustrate how the situation degenerates.

Have you tried not using exclusions at all, then using dependency:tree to debug conflicts?
 Classpath conflicts where there are two versions of the same jar are usually pretty easy
to spot, and when they happen, they make such a big mess of everything that it's hard to miss.
 But dependency:tree will show you one or two root causes of the problem, then you can put
in a single exclusion on the precise jar that is causing the problem.  Problem solved, and
you still get updates to transitives like God intended.