maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies, modules, and dependency plugin
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 21:26:12 GMT
Thanks; I will take a look at the release and versions plugin to see
if they can help.

Phillip

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:57 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2010, at 12:38 PM, Phillip Hellewell wrote:

>>> How does this relate to your release process?  i.e. where are the "trunk", "tags",
and "branches"?  Is each component going to be released separately, or all at once?

>> Each component will have its own source tree with its own trunk, tags,
>> and branches.  They can be released separately, but a component that
>> is released to customers will include all its dependencies bundled
>> with it.

>>> I think that could be tricky, but I'm not an expert on this.
>>
>> My idea is to have a script that I run before running mvn that uses
>> svn info to get the tag name and then puts that into the version in
>> the pom.xml.  Or even better, I should be able to put a property in
>> the version number, like "1.0-${svn_tag}" in the pom.xml, and just
>> pass in the tag name on the command-line with mvn -D.
>
> I don't think that will work very well.  I think using the release plugin will work
better.

>>> if you release each component separately, each components pom needs to have an
accurate <scm> tag.

>> Each component's pom in the Maven repository will have the SVN tag
>> name as part of its version number.  At the moment I don't think my
>> plan even requires using the scm plugin at all.
>
> I recommend using the release plugin for releases.  In my experience it's pretty hard
to get everything right for a release without it.  I think you can script the release plugin
so your script will feed in the svn rev as part of the tag name.

>>> Unless you have gigabytes of source code I would think you are making extra work
for everyone here.  why not just ask all your developers to check out all of /components
from svn and build the parts they want?  Disk space is usually cheaper and more reliable
than anyones time :-)

>> It's not about disk space, it's about checking out the exact code that
>> goes with the version of the dependency that is needed.  By appending
>> the svn tag name to the version in the pom.xml files, we'll always
>> know exactly what code that component was built from, and we'll be
>> able to automate checking out the source code for those components.
>
> checking out a tag and providing an environment where a developer might think its ok
to modify it seems pretty dangerous to me.  The release plugin can be configured to produce
a zip or tar.gz of the entire project source which then gets in the maven repo.  Relying
on this for tagged source code might be safer.

>>> If you want to automatically build dependency chains of modules you can put a
parent pom in components that lists all the individual components as modules and use the really
great maven options described here

>>> http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/10/maven-tips-and-tricks-advanced-reactor-options/
>>>
>>> I haven't tried it but I think this might work even if each component does not
use the aggregator pom as its parent.

>> I can take a look at that, but I'm not really doing multi-modules
>> here.  I'm doing dependencies.  I want each component to have a single
>> pom.xml, and depend on other components through <dependencies>, not
>> through <modules>, and I'm not really sure how mixing up these
>> concepts could solve anything.
>
> if you have say 100 components with a dependency graph with maybe 1000 edges you may
want to find out whether a change in one module produces obvious breakage in those that depend
on it, without doing a full build.  If the components are arranged as modules in an aggregator
project, you can do this with

> mvn clean install -pl :X -amd
>
> where  X is the module you changed.  Maven will figure out all the components that
could be affected, using the dependency graph, and build all of them in order.  I find doing
this by hand implausible.  As I said, I haven't tried this where the components don't have
the aggregator pom as parent, but suspect it will still work.  As long as the components
don't have the aggregator pom as a parent, you can still release them individually.