maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Company-wide settings
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2010 17:29:08 GMT
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
<tthiessen@avaya.com> wrote:
> Right. The blog entry explains this "bootstrapping" problem quite well.

I'm not sure I will have the "bootstrap" problem, because I'm thinking
about having this company pom be in SVN in a directory that all other
components get automatically upon checkout via svn:externals.

Since I am treating this pom as a settings file, I don't even care
about it being in a repository, ever.  In fact, if possible I would
like to make it impossible for it to get deployed to a repository.  I
really want it to just be a settings file.

Of course I'd much rather use the settings.xml for all this, but if I
have to use a pom to specify the distributionManagement, then why not
put the repositories in there too, as that keeps them all in the same
place, will be easier to maintain, and everyone gets updates to it
automatically.

If putting repositories in POMs is a "Bad Idea", then I'd argue that
putting distributionManagement in POMs is a "Bad Idea" too, but for
some reason the settings.xml doesn't allow distributionManagement in
there.

Phillip