maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 23:34:23 GMT
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
<tthiessen@avaya.com> wrote:
> What you are asking for definitely is not recommended. The release plugin already has
a "staging" feature but it is not the recommended way to do.

Good to know, thanks.

> Putting a "staging" build into the release repo is not recommended from my perspective
either. That isn't what a snapshot is for.  They are meant to hold only the latest version
of your build. Old artifacts are usually nuked.

> Besides, to do what you want you don't HAVE to have a staging repository anyway. You
can still release artifacts just fine and not have to copy anything. You just don't announce
that a release is ready until it has passed testing.

Yeah, I'm thinking I don't REALLY need a staging repository.  I can do
most builds as SNAPSHOTs (even builds created by build machines).
Only builds approved by QA will be deployed to the release repository.

> It is rather simple....
>
> 1. Work with SNAPSHOTS until you start approaching a release. Example version 1.0-01-SNAPSHOT.
> 2. Cut a release milestone build to send to alpha trials or extended QA. 1.0-01.
> 3. Continue to do work on your SNAPSHOT version and fix any bugs found. All fixes go
into 1.0-02-SNAPSHOT.
> 4. Release 1.0-02 at an appropriate time.
> 5. Repeat.

Yeah, I'll just keep it pretty simple like this, however it will be
even simpler because our build process will append the SVN tag name,
so we won't ever need to manually add like "01", "02", "03", etc.

> You'll eventually release 1.0-xy. Hopefully, if your release is not that buggy, xy never
gets to two digits ;-). And if you are agile and doing a lot of QA during each iteration,
you'll have a final release of 02 or 03.

> So if you released with version 1.0-05 for example, it is a bit annoying that everyone
can see and download 1.0-01 to 1.0-05.  1.0-01 to 1.0-04 are all basically dead releases
and you really don't want anyone to use them. Staging keeps this from happening.  You can
also of course do this by simply saying to your QA and/or release team "don't use releases
01 to 04" ;-).

Yeah, we may end up with artifacts in the release repo that are never
actually delivered to customers or dependend on by other artifacts,
but I don't think that will be a problem for us.

> Staging is a nice to have, but hardly a show stopper.  Which is likely why is does not
exist freely. At least not yet.

> You seem to be passionate about it though so by all means volunteer some of your time
to create such a plugin. I am sure the Nexus community would be happy for your contribution.
Nothing helps ones understand like actually doing.

Well, at this point all I'm mainly after is the ability to copy an
artifact from snapshot to release repo (removing -SNAPSHOT from the
version) without having to go through the rebuild process.  If that
functionality does not exist as a free plugin or anything at the
moment, who knows, maybe I will get time to create it :)

Phillip