maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:02:15 GMT
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 7:06 AM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
<tthiessen@avaya.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I'll just keep it pretty simple like this, however it will be
>> even simpler because our build process will append the SVN tag name,
>> so we won't ever need to manually add like "01", "02", "03", etc.
>
> What are you using as the SVN tag name? The release plugin will create the tag for you
from the GAV (GroupId, ArtifactId, Version). I suggest you look into that plugin to ensure
your releases are created correctly. You will need to change your version somehow in order
to create a new release.

So this is one aspect where our setup will differ slightly.  We don't
need the release plugin to create tags for us because our build
scripts on our build machines are already set up to create tags with
every single build (even snapshots builds).  The tag name we are using
is BRANCH_REVNUM_YYMMDD_HHMMSS, e.g., "trunk_123_101007_123055".  We
tag before each build so before running maven we will modify the
pom.xml to make the version include the tag "1.0-${tagname}-SNAPSHOT".

Of course, snapshot builds created by developers won't have a tag in
the name, so they'll just be like 1.0-SNAPSHOT.

We aren't really planning on ever changing from "1.0" on the front,
unless we find a need for it later.

Also, there is no need for the artifactId in the tag name because the
tag in SVN already lives below the component (e.g.,
/components/<artifactId>/tags/<tagname>).

> Just be careful what you put in the version of your release as Maven does care about
what you put there. For example if your first release was 1.0-BBB and your second release
was 1.0-AAA, Maven would view the BBB release as the latest. This is why we specifically choose
numbers as it is easy to see what the latest release build is. May also be a good idea for
you to review Maven's version numbering rules ;-). The "-" in the version is significant.

Ok, I will review those.  I'm hoping that for our setup there is no
problem.  For dependencies we plan to always use exact versions (in
brackets), and never work with ranges.

Phillip