maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2010 19:46:37 GMT
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
<tthiessen@avaya.com> wrote:
> I don't think it is arbitary. Where you deploy your artifacts TO, I think should be fixed.
I think that is the intent. It is a one off thing that is applicable to the build at hand
and isn't something you will want to try and reproduce at a later date (like building from
a tag).

> In this case it is good to know that if you run a mvn deploy, you'll know exactly where
the artifact will go. Using it as a property or variable in this case I think isn't a good
thing.

I can see where you're coming from, and of course I don't plan on
having where we deploy to change very often, but I don't see any big
reason to prevent an override.

But anyway, that is neither here nor there for me.  The big problem
issue for me right now is why should I be forced to do everything
through a parent pom instead of in a settings.xml file?  I don't
understand why certain settings should have to be in a pom that has to
be deployed.

Phillip