maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:02:34 GMT
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Phillip Hellewell <sshock@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, there are basically there types of builds I want to do.  Most
> people don't have a stage between snapshot and release, so I'm
> guessing that is why I am not getting any clear direction about the
> best way to do this.
> 1. A snapshot build made by a developer that can be deployed to a
> snapshot repo.  Ver = "1.0-SNAPSHOT".
> 2. A "staging" build made by a build machine.  Can this go into the
> snapshot repo?  Ver = "1.0-tag-TAGNAME".
> 3. A release build.  Will be deployed to a release repo. Ver =
> "1.0-tag-TAGNAME".

Sorry to reply to myself, but I have a guess what you are all
thinking.  #2 builds are snapshots so just name them as such, e.g.,
"1.0-tag-TAGNAME-SNAPSHOT".

I think that does make the most sense, since it makes it more clear
that these are not release artifacts.

So I'm only left with one question.  Once a snapshot is approved for
release, why should I have to go check out the project and rebuild it
and everything with the -SNAPSHOT removed?  Is there a mechanism or
tool (Nexus Pro perhaps?) that can copy an artifact from the snapshot
repo to the release repo while removing the -SNAPSHOT from the
version?

Phillip