maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:19:00 GMT
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Ron Wheeler
<> wrote:
> Maven will do this automatically for you. Just set the version to
> X.Y-SNAPSHOT and Maven will deploy it to your SNAPSHOT repository as defined
> in your parent POM.

Thanks Ron.  I was thinking about snapshots, but wasn't quite sure if
I wanted equate "staging repository" with "snapshot repository",
because I was actually thinking of having 3 levels:
1. Snapshot repository: developers can commit snapshots here.
2. Staging repository: build machine commits here automatically after
a build (incl unit tests) succeeds.
3. Release repository: Copy artifact from #2 to #3 after QA testing approves it.

For #2 I was planning to have X.Y-SVNTAG for the version number.  The
build machines will automatically get the SVN tag and append that to
create a unique name that will be even more useful to us than having a
timestamp that comes from SNAPSHOT.

Since the artifact won't change (not even the ver #) between #2 and
#3, I was thinking I should just be able to do a stage:copy to copy it
from one repository to the other.

Maybe I can combine #1 and #2, so snapshot repo == staging repo.  I
can deploy an artifact without SNAPSHOT in the name to a snapshot
repository, right?

Speaking of snapshots, is there an easy way to delete all snapshots
older than a given date to free up disk space?  Since snapshots are
temporary, yet plentiful, deleting old ones seems like it would be a
common need.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message