maven-users mailing list archives

From Wayne Fay <wayne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to centralize configuration accross multiple modules
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:27:36 GMT
> For property values -- I setup a .properties file for each of our
> environments with the default being 'dev'.  So for a default build, the dev
> properties are used.  but when its time to build for QA or Production, you
> add a cmd line argument accordingly:   mvn install -DenvType=QA

IMO this is an anti-pattern for Maven usage. You should be able to
build one single artifact in say Dev and then promote that same
untouched/changed artifact through your various environments.
Otherwise the artifact that gets QA'ed is not the same artifact that
lands in Production... which defeats the purpose of QA.

You should generally deal with these variances in the environments via
JNDI or other mechanisms available in the platform (JavaSE/JEE or
whatever container you're deploying into).

Wayne