maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 16:36:11 GMT
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
<tthiessen@avaya.com> wrote:
> Bingo. I was just about to reply to say that. You generally never go from a SNAPSHOT
to release as the way the artifacts are generated are very different. Not only are the names
of the artifacts themselves different but the metadata in the repository is also quite different.
And I am sure there are other differences as well that I am not directly aware of.

Ok, I can understand that it is more difficult than it seems because
there is more to it than just stripping off the -SNAPSHOT.

But the main thing I'm thinking about is the fact that the package
hasn't changed.  So why should I have to rebuild the code?  That not
only wastes time but more importantly it adds risks that the build may
not be identical to the snapshot build that has been tested, due to
obscure environment setting that changed on the build machine (e.g.,
suppose you installed a newer Windows SDK and that somehow affected
the build).

That's what I'm most worried about.

Phillip