maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Company-wide settings
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 13:39:40 GMT
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Vincent Latombe
<vincent.latombe@gmail.com> wrote:
> To handle distributionManagement, I define the url as a property that is
> defined in settings.xml.
> This allow me to define the whole connectivity from settings.xml. If ever my
> repository changed, I just need to update settings.xml on my build machines,
> instead of releasing a new parent and bumping parent version in all
> projects.

Just a reminder, this was the email thread about settings in general,
for things like profiles.  Also it seems to be agreed that
<repositories> belong in the settings.xml.

We weren't really talking about <distributionManagement>.  That was in
another thread.  The comments in that other thread suggest that using
settings.xml for <distributionManagement> is "wrong"; it should be
done in a parent pom instead.

One thing I am planning to have is a couple properties to determine
what type of build to do, ${build.platform} and ${build.config}.
${build.platform} will be one of "Win32", "x64", or "all".
${build.config} will be one of "Release", "Debug", or "all".  Based on
what I have read in both these email threads, I believe the "correct"
way to do this is to define those properties in my parent pom with
default values ("all"), and then to override them if desired using
profiles in settings.xml.

Phillip