maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies, modules, and dependency plugin
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 15:29:39 GMT
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Justin Edelson <justinedelson@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's nothing in Maven or the core plugins that will do this for you
> out of the box. But there's also nothing stopping you from writing a
> plugin to do this yourself. There are core Maven plugins which do parts
> of this (primarily dependency, scm, install), so you should be able to
> figure out the *vast* majority of the code you need by looking at the
> source of those plugins.

Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear.  Even if I just had a plugin
that would scan all the dependencies and print out their versions,
that would suffice and I could do the checking out myself.

> I think it's weird to be patching B from a build within A, but that's
> just me. You are also going to have to either standardize the file
> system relationship between B and A, but for a private plugin, that's
> more doable than in a public plugin.

Yeah, I'll have to do this for sure if I want to be able to continue
to modify B and when building A have it automatically compile and
install B.  However, I'm not sure if I actually need that much
automation.  It may suffice to just get B's source and compile+install
that first time, and thereafter any changes to B must be directly
compiled+installed from within B.

Phillip