maven-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Sundberg <>
Subject Failing a build with maven-failsafe-plugin
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:46:33 GMT

I want to use maven-failsafe-plugin to run some integration tests. I want
Maven to run post-integration-test phase to tear down an application server.
If any test fails, I want Maven to fail the build so my CI server can pick
it up and inform the developer who just made a mistake.

My failsafe plugin is configured as:

This works fine, my app server gets set up and torn down. My integration
tests are executed properly. But when I add a JUnit test like this:

   public void failingTest(){
        fail("Expected to fail");

Maven doesn't fail the build.

I happily reports:

<lots of log output>

<lots of log output>

[INFO] Total time: 30.828s
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Oct 05 13:08:36 CEST 2010
[INFO] Final Memory: 15M/36M

Do I need to set any additional property to get the maven-failsafe-plugin to
fail the build if a unit test failed?
Or am I trying to do something that the failsafe-plugin isn't done for?

I'm running Maven 3.0-RC3

mvn -version
Apache Maven 3.0-RC3 (r1001464; 2010-09-26 18:14:28+0200)
Java version: 1.6.0_21
Java home: C:\java\jdk1.6.0_21\jre
Default locale: sv_SE, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows xp" version: "5.1" arch: "x86" Family: "windows"

Thomas Sundberg
M. Sc. in Computer Science

Mobile: +46 70 767 33 15
Twitter: @thomassundberg