maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 21:50:50 GMT
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Ron Wheeler
<rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>  On 06/10/2010 3:42 PM, Phillip Hellewell wrote:
>>
>> If I deploy non-snapshot builds to the snapshot repository first
>
> How. I do not think that this can be done.

I asked earlier if non-snapshot builds can be deployed to a snapshot
repository, and no one answered so I've been assuming/hoping it is
possible.

>> (because I don't consider them released until QA approval), then I
>> want to move those to the release repo after QA approval, why would I
>> want the hassle with finding where I checked out the project (or
>> worse, check it out again and rebuild it), just so I can deploy it to
>> another repo when it's going to be identical, even the version number?
>
> Different version number   2.4.1-SNAPSHOT would be rebuilt as 2.4.1 when it
> is ready for release.

No, there are basically there types of builds I want to do.  Most
people don't have a stage between snapshot and release, so I'm
guessing that is why I am not getting any clear direction about the
best way to do this.
1. A snapshot build made by a developer that can be deployed to a
snapshot repo.  Ver = "1.0-SNAPSHOT".
2. A "staging" build made by a build machine.  Can this go into the
snapshot repo?  Ver = "1.0-tag-TAGNAME".
3. A release build.  Will be deployed to a release repo. Ver =
"1.0-tag-TAGNAME".

The artifact will not change at all between #2 and #3.  So no, it is
not a different version number, and no I do not want to go hunt down
where I created the build or have to check it out and build it again
so I can redeploy it.

So the questions are:
* Can I not put it a "staging" build into the a snapshot repository
because it does not have SNAPSHOT in the name?
* If a "staging" build goes into the snapshot repository, how can I
easily move it to the release repo.  I believe Anders has already
answered that Nexus Pro can provide this functionality, but I do find
it odd that copying artifacts between repositories has to be so hard.

Phillip