maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies, modules, and dependency plugin
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 18:25:11 GMT
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:02 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear.  Even if I just had a plugin
>> that would scan all the dependencies and print out their versions,
>> that would suffice and I could do the checking out myself.
>
> does mvn dependency:tree do what you want?

Yes, it looks like that will work!  Actually, a dependency:resolve
will work too, maybe even easier.  Will dependency:resolve guarantee
to print them out in an order such that each artifact comes after any
artifacts it depends on?

> I still don't understand exactly what you are trying to do, but it looks to me like it
might be like mvn scm:bootstrap

> http://maven.apache.org/scm/plugins/bootstrap-mojo.html

Cool, thanks.  I looked at it real quick and it looks like it can be
used to checkout and build a project for you, but it doesn't look like
it will does anything fancy like checking out the dependencies for
you.

> It seems to me that the scope of what you want could be hard to define.  Many non-tiny
projects come in multi module trees that are expected to be checked out at some root directory
which is not the same as the scm root of any module you will be using.  So figuring out how
much you want to check out automatically might be a challenge.  And if you really only want
a particular submodule you'll have to do something to calculate the scm address from the chain
of parent poms.  (of course you'll need to follow the parents until you find an scm tag anyway).

We are planning to make things consistent so that this automation will
be possible, e.g.:
1. Each "component" will live in a specific place in SVN (e.g.,
/components/COMPNAME).
2. Each "component" will have a single pom.xml.  No multi-modules.
3. Before deploying, the SVN tag name will be appended to the artifact
version number.
4. The SVN base url will be defined globally in the user's settings.xml

So I'll know exactly what to check out for that component just from
its name and version, which I can get from dependency:resolve.

Phillip