maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:26:36 GMT
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
<tthiessen@avaya.com> wrote:
>> So this is one aspect where our setup will differ slightly.  We don't
>> need the release plugin to create tags for us because our build
>> scripts on our build machines are already set up to create tags with
>> every single build (even snapshots builds).
>
> I think we may be getting to crux of your.

Yeah, I think we are getting closer...

> SNAPSHOTS are never tagged. I think most would consider this a bad maven practice.  This
isn't what a SNAPSHOT is for. A SNAPSHOT is meant to reflect the source in your trunk, not
a tag.

> If you wish to create a tag of something, create that build as a release. You get around
that, and I think all will be well for you.

I don't think the existence or not of tags in SVN is a problem
exactly, but rather the crux of the problem is what do I do with all
these builds created by our build machines continuously?  Some of them
will end up going to QA; many of them won't.  And we don't know
beforehand.  So if I make them snapshot builds, I end up later wanting
the ability to copy them from the snapshot to the release repo, which
unfortunately I have found out is not trivial.  But if I make them
release builds, then I have a whole lot of builds in the release repo,
many of which never even went to QA, hard to clean up, and there is no
way to see in the <dependency> sections of the poms whether they are
depending on QA approved builds or not.

So is my problem becoming more clear now?  What's the best solution for this?

Phillip