maven-users mailing list archives

From Vincent Latombe <vincent.lato...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:18:30 GMT
In Maven/Nexus terminology, you deploy a release candidate to a staging area
(#2) in your example. This artifact (or group of artifacts) is then made
available to a group of people for validation (it can be automated or
manual). Once it's validated it is promoted and copied to the release
repository.

In most Maven artifacts you'll find the version embedded within the artifact
itself (by default, in java archives it will embed the pom.xml). It is also
useful to fill in files like MANIFEST.MF with the artifact information so
these can be retrieved at runtime. That's why once deployed, an artifact
coordinates are immutable.

I hope it answers your question,

Vincent