maven-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:30:25 GMT
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> This conversation turns on a classic dilemma in release management.
>
> 1. The important thing is to ship exactly the bits that have been
> tested. Prepare a package, give it to QA. If they like it, ship it. If
> they don't, rinse, lather, and repeat.
>
> 2. The important thing is to never, ever, ever create an artifact
> named 'release x.y' until *after* QA has approved it.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks to everyone for their comments in this thread.  I think we are
going to be able to make it work with two build plans.  The continuous
builds will always create snapshots, and no tagging is necessary.  The
requested builds will be release builds if there is any chance we plan
on having QA test and approve them.

Phillip