maven-users mailing list archives

From Brian Topping <topp...@codehaus.org>
Subject Re: Questions on SNAPSHOTs
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2010 21:01:53 GMT

On Oct 16, 2010, at 4:42 PM, <Brian.Levine@nokia.com> wrote:

> That's what I get for trying to save a step by replying to someone else's post, but forgetting
to change the subject :-[

That's called "thread hijacking", and the problem with it is that the mail you create will
show up in everyone's inbox and every list archiver as a part of the thread that you hit "Reply"
to and change the subject.  It's a much bigger problem than you realized!

The cause of this is an SMTP header called "In-Reply-To".  Most mail readers will allow you
to "Show All Headers" so you can see it for yourself.  If you don't remove that header before
sending your new inquiry, you'll inadvertently join hijackers everywhere!

Practically, it takes just as much time to remove that header as it does to create a new email
to the list.  That's why most people do it (and keeping the mail list archives clean in the
process).

Please, don't hit "Reply" to start a new thread!

Cheers, Brian