maven-users mailing list archives

From "Thiessen, Todd (Todd)" <tthies...@avaya.com>
Subject RE: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:51:28 GMT
Bingo. I was just about to reply to say that. You generally never go from a SNAPSHOT to release
as the way the artifacts are generated are very different. Not only are the names of the artifacts
themselves different but the metadata in the repository is also quite different. And I am
sure there are other differences as well that I am not directly aware of.

The very nature of a SNAPSHOT is different from a release. In your pom all you have to do
is reference a version of 1.0-SNAPSHOT. But maven is doing a lot of work for you behind the
scenes. The name of the actual artifact on the repository is more complicated as it contains
a timestamp and build number right in the name.  This is why you would generally never go
directly from a SNAPSHOT version to a release version as it would require rejigging of the
names of the artifacts which of course could affect the way your application behaves and invalidate
your testing. You can't just blinding copy a folder in a snapshot repository to a folder in
your release repository.