maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 20:04:53 GMT
  On 06/10/2010 3:42 PM, Phillip Hellewell wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Ron Wheeler
> <rwheeler@artifact-software.com>  wrote:
>>> No worries.  I've already got Nexus installed (just dropped the WAR
>>> into Tomcat; almost too easy).  I just haven't played with it enough
>>> yet to make sure it can do everything I need it to (like copy
>>> artifacts between repositories).
>>>
>> Should never need to do this.
> When you say "Should never need to do this", are you also saying that
> it is not supported?

Can not imagine a use case for it.
> If I deploy non-snapshot builds to the snapshot repository first
How. I do not think that this can be done.
> (because I don't consider them released until QA approval), then I
> want to move those to the release repo after QA approval, why would I
> want the hassle with finding where I checked out the project (or
> worse, check it out again and rebuild it), just so I can deploy it to
> another repo when it's going to be identical, even the version number?
Different version number   2.4.1-SNAPSHOT would be rebuilt as 2.4.1 when
it is ready for release.
A SNAPSHOT is meant to be mutable. It is only considered to be the
latest in a series of attempts to build a release.
Releases are forever. You are not supposed to ever rerelease an released
artifact.
It requires notification of anyone that might have possibly ever seen
the artifact in a repository. Usually comes with apologies and promises
of being more careful in the future.
If you build with SNAPSHOT dependencies, you expect that your build is
not repeatable but if you build with released artifacts as dependencies,
the "Maven way"
insists that any changes to the behaviour of the built package is a
result of code in the project not in a dependency.