maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:17:28 GMT
  On 06/10/2010 2:42 PM, Siegmann Daniel, NY wrote:
> Phillip,
>
> Nexus supports deployment via HTTP. Probably other repo managers do too.
>
> Using Maven in a corporate setting without having a repository manager
> is like working in a team without a version control system. You could do
> it but you're going to suffer.
+1
It makes Maven so much easier to understand and gives you lots of nice
features for managing and controlling your use of dependent libraries
besides a good visual interface into your own artifacts:
For example:
  browse Maven Central proxy in your repo to find the right artifactId
and groupId and latest versions for third party stuff.
  upload a third party package that is not distributed through Maven
Central so that your team gets it without adding anything to their
settings.xml
  add a new repo for a special package without touching everyone's
settings.xml just by adding it to your central proxy definition.
  quickly find the latest version of a library that is available just by
looking in the index of your repo's proxy.
  developers can delete their own local Maven cache without having a
huge penalty since the repo has a copy of everything that you have on
your workstation and only gets new things from the Internet, once.

Much better sense of being in control of Maven artifacts.

Ron