maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Continuous Build always building against the latest SNAPSHOT version
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:46:07 GMT
  On 05/10/2010 4:27 PM, Mike Lenner wrote:
>> You just need to bump the dep
>> version in project-2.
> What about the use case where developers on project-2 don't even know
> that project-1 has been released?  All they know is the next time they
> check in code to shared-util and check in code to use that in
> project-2, their CI build breaks.
People who check in code without looking at the error messages about
conflicts in source version control will get you into all kinds of trouble.
If they checked out version 1.0-SNAPSHOT and are checking into version
1.1 releases without seeing that someone else has written conflicting
interfaces and classes, that is the problem to tackle.

Perhaps shared-util is too big and is more unstable than it should be.
We went through this and have refactored our shared libraries to create
a better set of functionally organized libraries that are more stable.
It also makes it much more obvious that a library will have to change
during a development cycle so that everyone anticipates the changes.

We have a set of aggregator POMs that are used to build composite jars
so that the set of "official" libraries can be referenced without having
to know the version of all of the component libraries.

Ron