maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 05:26:40 GMT
  On 05/10/2010 12:45 AM, Phillip Hellewell wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Ron Wheeler
> <rwheeler@artifact-software.com>  wrote:
>>   On 04/10/2010 4:28 PM, Phillip Hellewell wrote:
>>> Yeah, part of the problem is I still haven't got this working with a
>>> "parent" pom, and I don't even know exactly what is meant by a parent
>>> pom (I assume it was using the<parent>    tag, but I'm running into
>>> issues there...)
>>>
>> ??? Should not be any there.
> Just tried using a parent pom tonight and it worked fine.  Not sure
> what was going on earlier today.
>
> I'm still not fully convinced of the necessity of persisting an
> artifact's default deploy location, but I'm going to take your guys'
> word for it and do it the "Maven way".  And I'll try to do whatever I
> can with DNS or virtual hosts or whatever to make it so that doesn't
> have to change unnecessarily.
>
> BTW, I'm thinking that we will probably have two main repositories, a
> "staging" one and a "release" one.  Any build that succeeds and unit
> tests pass will be deployed automatically to the staging repo (which
> will be the default repo referenced by all the poms, well, the parent
> pom).  Then after QA approval it will be deployed to the "release"
> repo.  But if -DaltDeploymentRepository is buggy, maybe I should put a
> variable in there.  Or can I just use the stage plugin to copy an
> artifact from the staging to release repo?

Releases and SNAPSHOTs is the way to do this.
You deploy SNAPHOTS until you have the bugs all out.
Releases are immutable. Once you release an artifact, you should not
release it again.

Maven will do this automatically for you. Just set the version to
X.Y-SNAPSHOT and Maven will deploy it to your SNAPSHOT repository as
defined in your parent POM.
If a dependency is on a SNAPSHOT version, Maven will check the SNAPSHOT
repo for the latest deployed SNAPSHOT so you can work as a team without
having to change your artifact's POM each time a team member deploys a
new SNAPSHOT.
The free version of Nexus will give you a Release and SNAPSHOT
deployment repo by default.

Remember, Maven knows how to build "normal" applications without doing
anything special.
It incorporates "Best Practices".

It just does not document them in a simple way.
You have to read ALL the documentation and then try to do it wrong and
finally describe the problem that this causes in this forum before the
secrets are revealed.
It is an Apache standard process (Free, high quality software in return
for minimal documentation written by insiders with an enthusiastic group
of experts to help you).

Ron