maven-users mailing list archives

From Justin Edelson <>
Subject Re: Company-wide settings
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2010 20:49:29 GMT
On 10/4/10 2:34 PM, Phillip Hellewell wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Anders Hammar <> wrote:
>> Philip, with all due respect, but reading your posts I get the impression
>> you're doing your best not to follow Maven best practice. Maven is all about
>> convention and best practice patterns. Please acknowledge that our advice is
>> based on actual experience and going your own path will surely get you into
>> trouble! It's not really a matter of what you think, but rather what Maven
>> thinks. :-)
> Ok, slow down everyone.  No worries.  I just did a test and have found
> that this approach fails miserably.  It apparently wants the parent
> pom to be available whenever I depend on this project, so obviously
> this doesn't work.
No, there's a lot of cause to worry. Because some poor shmuck is going
to read this thread a year from now and think that there's actually a
valid debate about where to put distributionManagement. There's not. It
goes in the pom.

The failure is that you need to deploy your parent POM to a Maven
repository. That's the bootstrap problem. It's been discussed and

> So no worries, I'm fully convinced that I want to use settings.xml to
> specify repositories.  But I'm still trying to find the best way to
> specify a distributionManagement in each of my poms without
> duplicating the <url>.

Put the URL in a parent POM. Deploy the parent POM to a repository. End
of story.