maven-users mailing list archives

From Justin Edelson <justinedel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies, modules, and dependency plugin
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 15:10:57 GMT
On 10/1/10 11:03 AM, Phillip Hellewell wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Antonio Petrelli
> <antonio.petrelli@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you control B this is not necessary. Simply add a dependency to a
>> snapshot of B and, when you build B and, after it, build A, the latter
>> will get the latest build of B.
>> Or am I missing something?
>
> Yes, of course I can check out B, modify it's version with -SNAPSHOT,
> make changes, build B, and then go change A to depend on a snapshot of
> B.  And that is exactly what I plan to do, except...
>
> I want Maven to help check out B for me (and other dependencies).  I
> can check out A manually, but I want Maven's dependency mechanism to
> find B in the (local or remote) repository, and instead of copying its
> package(s) (dlls, libs, etc) for me to use in A, I want the option to
> have it just look at the pom.xml for B and use that to figure out
> exactly what version of  B to checkout from SVN and automatically
> check it out.
>
> And if B is not in the local repository already, I want it to
> automatically launch a maven install on B, so it will be ready for A.
>
> Phillip

There's nothing in Maven or the core plugins that will do this for you
out of the box. But there's also nothing stopping you from writing a
plugin to do this yourself. There are core Maven plugins which do parts
of this (primarily dependency, scm, install), so you should be able to
figure out the *vast* majority of the code you need by looking at the
source of those plugins.

I think it's weird to be patching B from a build within A, but that's
just me. You are also going to have to either standardize the file
system relationship between B and A, but for a private plugin, that's
more doable than in a public plugin.

Justin