maven-users mailing list archives

From Kenneth McDonald <kenneth.m.mcdon...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [Repetitive]: Maven does not live up to its promises
Date Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:30:45 GMT
Fine by me. I'm still looking for "maven enlightenment", and if I can contribute to this (even
in a negative way), that's great.

Ken

On Oct 24, 2010, at 8:03 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Kenneth do you mind if I use the body of this rant in a blog entry? I will leave it verbatim
and won't quote anything out of context.

> There are many people who misunderstand Maven at a fundamental level, but in sum total
not many Maven users or people attempting to use Maven, actually traffic this list. It would
probably be more instructive to have your rant and my answers in a place where more people
can see them.

> Would that be OK?
>
> On Oct 23, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Kenneth McDonald wrote:
>
>> First, note that I did tag this as repetitive: You don't need to be reading it if
you don't want to be rehashing recent issues.

>> <beginning of rant>
>> However, I want to give a concrete example of just why I dislike maven (and all other
XML solutions) so far. I am trying to do what I think should be a reasonably easy thing to
do--upload onto github (or something similar) current documentation for the project I have
hosted on github. So far the best solution I've seen involves making another branch of my
project and including the documentation there. This is fundamentally wrong (the docs are _part_
of the project), but I'm not blaming maven here. It's probably a git thing I don't yet understand.

>> However, once we get past that, the pom files necessary to upload the docs are daunting,
to say the least.

>> Even more than that, though, the pom files are fundamentally unreadable. Oh I don't
mean you can't puzzle through them in an afternoon or so if you have the time. Of course you
can. But (and I think this deserves to be in caps), XML FILES ARE FUNDAMENTALLY WRITTEN WITH
THE EASE OF THE COMPUTER, NOT THE HUMAN, AT HAND. I mean, that's just a simple statement of
fact, not an opinion. I just don't get how people can be so oblivious to this. Would you really
want to program in a dialect of XML? How many people do you know who do so? Do you really
think that all of the work that has been done on parsers and compilers over the last thirty
years has been in vain because, realistically, humans should just program in XML? I open up
an XML file, and unless I'm quite familiar with the "dialect" of XML in use, simply understanding
the structure takes at least half an hour. THEN I need to understand the content. There is
too much redundancy, too few structural cues to indicate meaning, too few keywords (yes, they're
important!), too much nesting, too little ordering in that nesting...I could go on.

>> Of course people will dispute this. They're wrong. If they were right, we would have
had something like XML for all our programming needs twenty years ago. Sorry people, you're
just plain wrong.

>> Now, what are the claims made for (or implied by) maven:
>> 1) That it is declaratively, not procedurally, based.
>> 1-a) Whoop-te-do. So are makefiles. Sure, they've accumulated a lot of crud over
the years (and a rewrite _like_ maven was probably necessary to clear this out), but makefiles
are, at their core pretty simple. You have a build target. It depends on other build targets.
You build those other targets, and then you build what you're working on. Is this revolutionary?
>> 1-b) I've mentioned this before, but Prolog has been doing declarative programming
for years. Without obscure semantics. With lots of extra expressive power, like list manipulations,
arithmetic, etc. etc. With an understandable syntax. With lots of extra libraries. Would it
have really been so bad to base a declarative codebase on Prolog, a mature, proven technology?
>> 2) XML is standards based.
>> 2-a) Sure. Like Prolog. Or even (choose a variant of) LISP, for god's sake. All of
these "languages" are standards compliant until they're not. XML will suffer the same fate.
>> 3) XML makes it easy to interoperate with other systems.
>> 3-b) This is the biggest piece of bullshit I've ever heard. It totally confuses a
data format (let's say, "ASCII") with a data standard (let's say, "CORBA", though that's stretching
things.) XML is a data format, pure and simple. No matter how hard it tries (remember DTDs?),
it cannot attain the status of a data standard, because the needs of data standards evolve
and continually require new things. So a data format such as ASCII, can have quite a long
life--but trying to do the same thing to a data standard is a pointless exercise, and will
not hold.
>> 4) Apache is wedded to XML.
>> 4-a)  This one really pisses me off because I suspect it's absolutely true. I believe
that Apache has a large number of very talented programmers, and I believe they are, in large
respect, wasting their time because they have come to worship XML. I don't get it. There are
things for which XML is appropriate. There are also so many things for which it's not, that
why would you spend all of your time there? I don't have an answer.