maven-users mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Request to re-open MNG-3472
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:54:45 GMT

On Oct 29, 2010, at 9:28 AM, <Brian.Levine@nokia.com> <Brian.Levine@nokia.com>
wrote:

> I'm not suggesting that Maven periodically run a task to purge the repo.  I'm suggesting
that a settable policy be implemented such that a max number of versions of a snapshot artifact
be kept in the local repo. When that limit is exceeded, the oldest version is deleted.

It's essentially the same logic implemented in repository managers.

> Yes, it's easy enough to do an rm -rf on your local repo.  But that assumes that you
understand why you need to do this or have been told by your dev team to do this and that
you remember to do it before you realize that a lot of disk space is being used up by something.

> IMHO, a tool should never have unbounded access to resources such as disk space. Further,
I don't think stakeholders (not all of which are developers) should need to understand the
inner working of Maven or what they need to do work around a limitation such as this.

Given all our other concerns and that the issue has one vote, it's honestly not likely something
we'll implement.

But if you want to and contribute it take a look at how artifacts are installed with Aether,
which is what Maven 3.x is using.

We would need an extension mechanism for the installation process, and way to define those
extensions in settings.xml, and then how you would configure that extension.

> -brian

managed in the local repository and periodically clean up after Maven?  I don't think so.
 It seems like the best solution here is to allow