maven-users mailing list archives

From "Yanko, Curtis" <curt_ya...@uhc.com>
Subject RE: how to centralize configuration accross multiple modules
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:33:45 GMT

 Each environment identifies itself and your app uses that info to
connect to the right properties at runtime.

________________________________

Curt Yanko | Continuous Integration Services | UnitedHealth Group IT
Making IT Happen, one build at a time

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Paynter [mailto:kittle31@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 2:08 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: how to centralize configuration accross multiple modules

well it was a suggestion - do what you will with it.

But how would you implement this using the maven way?

given the following restrictions/requirements:
each environment has its own hostname and number of hosts (dev 1 host,
qa 4 hosts, prod 8 hosts) each environment has a different db connection
string each environment has its own set of passwords for accounts (db,
unix, and
tibco)
each environment has its own set of port numbers fo the various
processes.
each environemnt has its own set of webservice urls.
and all of our j2ee processes have other application specific config
values

Add to that, most of the config values change frequently as things
evolve and change.  we found its much easier to put all these values
into a single file,  edit one file, and run a build.  Granted this was
with a morass of ant scripts, but given the volume of changes, the
.properties files worked quite well.