maven-users mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies, modules, and dependency plugin
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 18:02:58 GMT

On Oct 1, 2010, at 8:29 AM, Phillip Hellewell wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Justin Edelson <justinedelson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There's nothing in Maven or the core plugins that will do this for you
>> out of the box. But there's also nothing stopping you from writing a
>> plugin to do this yourself. There are core Maven plugins which do parts
>> of this (primarily dependency, scm, install), so you should be able to
>> figure out the *vast* majority of the code you need by looking at the
>> source of those plugins.
>
> Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear.  Even if I just had a plugin
> that would scan all the dependencies and print out their versions,
> that would suffice and I could do the checking out myself.

does mvn dependency:tree do what you want?

>> I think it's weird to be patching B from a build within A, but that's
>> just me. You are also going to have to either standardize the file
>> system relationship between B and A, but for a private plugin, that's
>> more doable than in a public plugin.
>
> Yeah, I'll have to do this for sure if I want to be able to continue
> to modify B and when building A have it automatically compile and
> install B.  However, I'm not sure if I actually need that much
> automation.  It may suffice to just get B's source and compile+install
> that first time, and thereafter any changes to B must be directly
> compiled+installed from within B.

I still don't understand exactly what you are trying to do, but it looks to me like it might
be like mvn scm:bootstrap

http://maven.apache.org/scm/plugins/bootstrap-mojo.html

It seems to me that the scope of what you want could be hard to define.  Many non-tiny projects
come in multi module trees that are expected to be checked out at some root directory which
is not the same as the scm root of any module you will be using.  So figuring out how much
you want to check out automatically might be a challenge.  And if you really only want a particular
submodule you'll have to do something to calculate the scm address from the chain of parent
poms.  (of course you'll need to follow the parents until you find an scm tag anyway).

hope this helps
david jencks