maven-users mailing list archives

From "Siegmann Daniel, NY" <Daniel.Siegm...@fja-us.com>
Subject RE: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 18:42:27 GMT
Phillip,

Nexus supports deployment via HTTP. Probably other repo managers do too.

Using Maven in a corporate setting without having a repository manager
is like working in a team without a version control system. You could do
it but you're going to suffer.

~Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Phillip Hellewell [mailto:sshock@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:55 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Can't specify distributionManagement in settings.xml

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Anders Hammar <anders@hammar.net> wrote:
> Please, please, please have a look at a repo manager. It has these
type of
> features. That's why it's called a manager.

I'm sure a repo manager can do fancy things with multiple repositories
for downloading, and I am already working on getting Nexus set up
today.  But I don't see how a repo manager will solve my problem with
deployment.  You can't deploy with the HTTP protocol, can you?  It has
to be something like scp://, ftp://, or file://.  Are there repo
manageres that interject somehow in the deployment phase.

Since the <distributionManagement> can only specify two kinds of
repositories, snapshot and normal (release), I am thinking that I need
to decide that (from a deployment perspective at least) there are only
two repositories, so I should probably combine my idea of a "staging"
repository with the snapshot repository.

But I'll still need to copy between repositories (copy a non-snapshot
artifact from the snapshot repository to the release repository), so
if stage:copy is not the best way to do this, I'm hoping to find that
this is something Nexus or another repo manager can do easily.

Phillip