maven-users mailing list archives

From Anders Hammar <and...@hammar.net>
Subject Re: Release version numbers in large multi-module project
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:16:27 GMT
> Neat :)  Is the plan here to have 61 individual releases/version numbers or
> a single release for the entire collection?

This is up to you. Out of the end user's perspective, every artifact that
you want to "control" has to be added to the dependencyManagement section.

> I know people have wanted independent cycles for certain things but under
> git this isn't really workable ( a) the release plugin b) tagging over the
> entire repo ).

I don't use git, so I don't know. However, having independent release cycles
will give you more flexibility at the cost of more complexity. I would
suggest try keeping it simple if possible. However, having a separate
release cycle for things that aren't related makes sense.

> Also, under Maven 3 you won't get the -SNAPSHOT complaints until the
> current
> snapshot issues are sorted,

Not sure what you mean...

> However - I would put the clojure version in the parents
> dependencyManagement section pointing at current clojure, and declare the
> dependency in each module.

Yes, that's the Maven way.

> For those that have 1.1/1.2 differences, if you went the route of having
> -two- artifacts for the various versions, you could declare the dependency
> -and- the version of clojure.  Or is the plan to support both versions from
> the same artifact?

Not sure I understand. But basically, the end user controls the transitive
dependencies. Your artifacts can't do that. So if he wants to use version A
of Clojure, he can do that regardless of the version of your artifacts he's
using (it might not work though). Would it make sense to use an older
version of your artifacts (the libs) together with a newer version of
Clojure (for which you have released lib artifacts)? Most likely no, but the
end user is free to do whatever he wants. And he will probably do it
too...:-)

/Anders