maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Deploy with SFTP tries to cd to parent too many times
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2010 21:11:49 GMT
  On 06/09/2010 2:19 PM, Trevor Harmon wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2010, at 6:48 AM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Get Nexus up and running and start to enjoy using Maven.
> I'm sensing a theme here. Anybody reminded of that old joke? "Doctor, it hurts when I
move my arm like this." Doctor: "Then don't move your arm like that."

>> It is free. It is easy to install and configure.
>> We are a small team of 3 but it was well worth the time to get it up and running.
> That you are a small team of 3 is very likely the reason why you found it easy to install
and configure. I'm assuming one of you 3 set up the server yourself, correct? And had root
access to it?
Correct
>   You probably didn't have to expose Nexus outside the firewall, either.

No. We are a distributed operation.
> These are all advantages I'm lacking. I'm working remotely as an external contractor
and have no control over the company's servers. And it doesn't help that I'm the only person
using Maven in an all-Microsoft shop.
Probably more trouble than its worth. Stick with Ant or use the
Microsoft tools
> They'd have to integrate the Nexus server's user account management with Microsoft Active
Directory. (Is that even possible?) And they'd also have to configure their firewall just
for me so that I may access Nexus from the outside.
They should know how to do this. I am not sure why you would bother with
Active Directory for 1 person. Just use Nexus' authentication.

>   This is a company with thousands of employees and a full-time IT security engineer;
punching holes in their walls is not something they take lightly. In short, installing Nexus
is by no means easy.

> But the company already happens to have a web server with SFTP access outside the firewall.
They've given me an account on it. I'm simply trying to piggyback on this as a repository
and use SFTP for deployment, since SFTP is a "supported" deployment method.
So they do know how to expose services safely within their environment.