maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: External repository always requires a repository manager?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:48:58 GMT
  On 16/08/2010 4:56 AM, Trevor Harmon wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2010, at 1:20 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
>
>> Your life would be much easier using a repository manager for your
>> "internal" repository.  Nexus is almost trivial to set up, for example.
> It is trivial to set up *if* you have the necessary permissions to set up the service.
In my case, I'm an independent contractor, and the only server I personally have access to
is from one of those shared hosting providers, and it's simply not possible to run Jetty or
Tanuki in that kind of environment. My client does have their own servers, but I'd have to
make a special request to get one of their IT guys to set it up for me. So unless you've got
root access to your own server... not trivial.

Find a provider that lets you run your own application.
Put it on a cloud service.
>> As for internal vs external, there is no difference, you don't need a
>> repository manager...
>
> Okay, but I'm just not understanding how to configure Maven for that. Sure, I could set
up a<repositories>  element like this:

> <repositories>
>      <repository>
>          <id>central</id>
>          <url>http://repo.myserver.com/repository/</url>
>      </repository>
> </repositories>
>
> And that tells Maven to check the above URL for artifacts before going out to repo1.maven.org.
But it only knows how to download, not upload. How can Maven put the newly downloaded artifacts
into this repository? (I thought that's what a repository manager is for...)

> Trevor

Read the Nexus docs on how to set up a deployment.
In general, your individual settings.xml defines download location since
it is usually the same for all your projects and the parent project pom
defines the deployment since it might vary depending on the project.

Ron