maven-users mailing list archives

From "Yanko, Curtis" <curt_ya...@uhc.com>
Subject RE: Parent and child projects share same version
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:55:23 GMT
Looks backwards to me. I put a version in the Parent and then don't list
on in the children at all, it get's inherited.

________________________________

Curt Yanko | Continuous Integration Services | UnitedHealth Group IT
Making IT Happen, one build at a time

-----Original Message-----
From: C. Benson Manica [mailto:cbmanica@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:19 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Parent and child projects share same version

I have a parent project and two child projects - the directory structure
is

pom.xml
--child1/pom.xml
--child2/pom.xml

The top-level pom defines all the dependencies for the children - child1
contains the actual sources and child2 is merely a placeholder for
aggregating the transitive dependencies into a separate artifact.
Obviously the top level pom and child1's pom need to be synchronized
version-wise so that child1 is built against the right dependencies, but
there appears to be no way to avoid having to manually bump child1's
<parent> element so that it inherits from the right version of the
top-level pom.  Even a reasonable hack in child1's pom,

<version>1.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
<parent>
  <groupId>xx</groupId>
  <artifactId>yy</artifactId>
  <version>${project.version}</version>
</parent>

doesn't work - ${project.version} doesn't seem to be substituted with
1.3-SNAPSHOT in time for the dependency to resolve correctly.  Am I
stuck with manually editing the <version> tag every time I release the
top-level pom or am I missing something?

--
C. Benson Manica
cbmanica@gmail.com